Global Young People’s Convocation
Jul 18, 2018 - Jul 22, 2018
The Global Young People’s Convocation (GYPC) is the global event of United Methodist young people. It is held once every four years for the purpose of:
- Celebrating the mission and vitality of young people in the United Methodist Church
- Raising the joys and concerns of young people from the global community
- Developing young people as leaders for effective ministry in local churches and communities of faith
- Highlighting emerging trends in youth and young adult ministry
- Providing a common forum that embraces the global reality of the church.
The GYPC also has a Legislative Forum, which is the venue for proposing and discussing legislation related to issues of concern to young people. The 2016 General Conference of the UMC approved a proposal to change the legislation part of the GYPC from a formal “assembly” to a “forum.”
All legislation adopted by the forum may be referred to the Division on Ministries with Young People (DMYP) or sent [directly] to the General Conference carrying the name “United Methodist Young People’s Convocation.”
Taken from ¶ 1210 sections 1-2 of the UMC Book of Discipline.
The first GYPC was held in Johannesburg, South Africa in 2006. The 2nd was held on July 2010 in Berlin, Germany. The 3rd was held on July 2014 in Tagaytay City, Cavite, Philippines.
The 2018 Global Young People’s Convocation will be held on July 18-22, 2018 at the Indaba Hotel and Conference Centre, Johannesburg, South Africa.