Palm Harbor, FL: Director of Family Life Ministries
East Lake United Methodist Church (www.eastlakeumc.org) of Palm Harbor, Florida is looking to hire a Director of Family Life Ministries who will oversee and direct the children’s and adult education ministries by developing and living into a comprehensive vision for the ministries. The majority of the director’s time (approximately 30 hours) will be focused on children’s ministry while the remaining hours will focus on the adult ministry.
The director will work in partnership with the Children’s Ministry Team, the Adult Education Team, and the Director of Youth to create and implement a vision for seamless formation for all ages. Responsibilities will include coordinating children’s ministry, recruiting and equipping volunteers, providing leadership for adult education, and overseeing nursery workers. Candidates that apply must have 2-4 years of related experience, a Bachelor’s degree or higher, an understanding of Christian formation for children and adults, and strong communication and organization skills. The final candidate must pass a criminal background check and drug test.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Creating a vision that includes faith development and growth (through fellowship, mission, Bible study, relationships, and church involvement) in collaboration with the Director of Youth, a team of parents, and volunteers and clearly shared with the staff and church members.
- Building, growing, and maintaining a coordinated relationship with Young Days Christian Academy.
- Developing programs, activities, and opportunities that support the vision of the ministry. They are effective, well-organized, communicated, and implemented.
- Conducting regular meetings for planning, instruction, and programming to implement an excellent, thriving experience for the families of the church.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the ministry with children and families formally every year by gathering feedback from parents, church staff, and the congregation.
- Maintaining excellent communication by the best possible methods: church bulletins, website updates, social media, meetings, and others.
- Implementing a system for tracking, following up, and connecting with children and families who are new, those who have not been attending, and those who attend regularly.
- Providing parent gatherings several times a year to provide education, information, and vision for the family ministry to keep parents and children engaged.
- Recruiting and training volunteers ensuring all safety and protection procedures are followed. Ensuring the retention level of children’s ministry volunteers is high by providing a consistent leadership team who is spiritually encouraged, trained, and background checked for safety.
- Creating a family ministry budget and adhering to it on a yearly basis.
- Overseeing the nursery workers in partnership with the Staff Parish Relations Team. Nursery workers are hired, scheduled, equipped, and supervised.
In partnership with the Adult Education Team, the director assists with organizing, planning, conducting, and evaluating comprehensive educational programs for adults, which includes small groups and Sunday school. Responsibilities include the following:
- Providing leadership in planning, conducting, and evaluating a comprehensive program of Christian education for adults.
- Serving as an educational resource person and advisor to the leaders of adult Sunday school, small groups, and seasonal programs.
- Providing discipleship training, that includes direction and empowerment, for the leadership of small groups and adult educational programs in order to provide seamless Christian formation for adults.
- Offering curriculum and educational materials to volunteers to use as resources for exceptional Biblical education.
- Giving assistance to the Nominations Team by recommending and enlisting volunteers for adult education. Equipping and encouragement of volunteers is provided as needed.
- Making recommendations for suitable educational building space and equipment as needed.
- Creating an adult education ministry budget and adhering to it on a yearly basis.
- Maintaining excellent communication by the best possible methods: church bulletins, website updates, social media, meetings,and others.
- Counseling of church and non-church members as needs arise in a confidential way to provide help and assistance.
- Serving as an effective staff liaison to assigned Ministry Teams and/or Standing Teams.
- Adhering to church approved guidelines as set forth in East Lake United Methodist Church’s Bylaws and Policies and Procedures Manual.
Candidates must exhibit a growing and personal relationship with Christ. A bachelor's degree or higher, at least 2-4 years experience in a related field, and a great understanding of today’s children, adults, and families are required.
Those interested in applying should send their resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.